Thursday, November 16, 2006

I miss the blue skies, the last update was the last time I jumped. Sometimes I look up at the skies and I reminise about the past season, my first jump, the uncontrollable spinning learning how to turn, my first dock, tracking through the clouds, my first 10 way(went to shit though :P), flying my canopy through the clouds into a round rainbow, remembering the big grin I have when the jumps door opens, of being catapulted across the skies, the Richmond tube jump, leaving the plane back to earth and see it fly away and many more memories that I will take with me to my grave...

Many may ask why the obsession with this skydiving thing? Someone said this online, 'the 60 sec break from life is essentially what skydiving is all about', this quote seems to hit the nail for me. Let's face it, all of us have our crosses to bear, our share of troubles and responsibilities. When I take to the air, all chains to the earth are broken. For that few minutes I feel truly free and time seems to slow down for me as I marvel at the beauty of the earth or the sunset from up there. Falling at 120mph, seeing the grins on my friends faces, it is something that cannot be explained only experienced. I feel alive and immortal when I'm in my element. A common jumper saying goes like this, those who do it, can't explain it, those who don't do it, don't understand it. I guess that's that. My constant need to feel alive and affirm my place on this earth binds me to the sport as well. To sit down on my couch and die while watching tv or have a massive myocardial infarction because I've been on my ass and getting fat ain't my cup of tea. That's not how I want to live my life.

Looking back at the past year, I managed to clear 2.5/3 of the goals I set out for myself, getting a skydiving license, driving license and I've completed a half marathon(instead of a full). In between, I've travelled to a few places in the states and canada visiting cities and national parks. This coming weekend, I'll be off to the west coast again, LA, San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, Sequoia and Yosemite National Park will be the places I'm hitting.... I guess it's been a year well spent?

Late fall: leaves have fallen and winter is almost upon us. Soon the full harshness of winter will set in and as the bare trees will attest to, the cold cold nights will be here to stay. There are a couple of months left in my stint in indy, enjoy the ride and look forward to my big trip (hopefully europe) after my stint here ends. Till then, live well and love life the way it should be. Carpe Diem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home